Income & Resources
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is for low-income individuals with limited income and resources.
- SSI does not count all income when considering eligibility. For example, the first $20 of unearned income does not count. The first $65 and half the remainder of earned income does not count.
- Countable income is subtracted from the SSI Base Rate to calculate the adjusted SSI payment amount. Different people get different amounts of SSI based on other income they have.
- You can use the online SSI Calculation Worksheet to estimate your SSI payment based on your income.
- For SSI, you cannot have more than $2,000 in countable resources. Not all resources count for SSI purposes. For details, see the Program Manual Operations System (POMS) SI 01130.000.