Considerations for Youth
- If an SSI recipient is under age 22 and regularly attends school, they can use the Student Earned Income Exclusion (SEIE) work incentive.
- With the SEIE, the SSI program will not count up to $2,220 of gross earned income per month (up to a maximum of $8,950 per year) when calculating the monthly payment amount. These 2023 figures are adjusted each year based on the cost of living.
- There are special rules about regularly attending school, but they can be very flexible.
- The SEIE helps students stay in school or return to school.
- Social Security Administration (SSA) requires special documentation to use the SEIE.